History of "LEXINGTON" Kentucky
Last updated 4 years ago
Purcell’s department store, 1967
Purcell's department store in downtown Lexington at 320 W. Main St., Nov. 5, 1967. Purcell's, which opened in 1887 as a 5 &10 called the Racket Store, originally was located on the north side of West Main Street. In 1923, its founder, Jefferson Davis Purcell, bought property on the south side and opened a department store at 320 W. Main St. It was later enlarged. In its heyday, during the 1940s and '50s, Purcell's was not only one of Lexington's busiest, but one of its most colorful departme...