Similar ideas popular now
Brookland Plantation ~ Edisto Island ~ Although the plantation existed in the late 1700s as the home of Joseph and Martha Jenkins (whose graves are on the property) the existing house was not built until 1803. The core of the house is of black cyprus and the side pavillions were added later. Once a cotton plantation, in the 1950s it was the Brookland Home for Boys. It has changed owners multiple times since then, with the current owners buying it to save it from deveopment in 2010.