Similar ideas popular now
24 September 1892: Haddon Hall, a light opera by Arthur Sullivan and Sydney Grundy, premiered at the Savoy Theatre in London.
An image of a Victorian strong woman from Linley Sambourne's image library at 18 Stafford Terrace, London.
Cheyne Walk in Chelsea. It takes its name from William Lord Cheyne, an MP between 1681 until 1687. Most of the houses were built in the early 18th century and the houses used to front the River Thames until the construction of the Embankment. The trees in the picture above are seen today, albeit taller and thicker. The road's most prominent building is Carlyle Mansions, a block of flats built in 1886 and named after Scottish philosopher and writer Thomas Carlyle
The original Whiteley’s department store in Bayswater, founded by William Whiteley in 1863. The original burned down following an arson attack in 1887, but the replacement, completed in 1911, remains to this day as a shopping centre.