Baltiysk (Pillau until 1946), the city in the Russian Federation, the Kaliningrad region, located to the west of Kaliningrad, on the Vistula Spit. Railroad station. Population - 31.4 thousand people (2001).. It was founded in 1686. The city in 1946. First mentioned in 1519 as a Pillau. The name of the Lithuanian pilis (castle) with suffix -av. In 1522 and later - Germanized Pillau. Until 1945 a part of Germany. In 1946 it renamed in Baltiysk. The city has a museum of the Baltic Fleet.