By 1953, East Germany was desperate for parts for their aging supply of weapons left over from 1945. Using mixed wartime and new machining, they made small test runs of P.38s and Lugers with an "N" prefix for "Neufertigung" ("new production”). The serial number range of the Lugers is N1001-N1100, and they are thought to have been made at the old Krieghoff factory in Suhl. The DDR was soon supplied with Tokarev and Makarov pistols, and the N-range was stored. This is a consecutive pair.