Medieval Kilkenny. The Anglo-Norman lord William Marshal built Kilkenny's first city walls in c1210 for colonists from England, Wales & Flanders. The first wall was built from oak timbers set on top of earthen ramparts, outside of which ran a ditch. 60 years later, his grandson Gilbert De Clare replaced the earth & timber defences with a stone wall and towers. This view has Talbot's Tower in the foreground, built around 1270 and renamed after the 15th century Mayor of Kilkenny Robert Talbot.